While attending River View Christian Academy, young teen girls will have opportunities to explore many of nature’s amazing wonders. We love our surrounding area east of Austin, TX and the plethora of wholesome outdoor experiences it has to offer.
Benefits of Outdoor Recreation and Learning
Experts say that outdoor learning is quite beneficial to students because it makes them healthier and happier, and they do better academically. The various benefits include: 1
- Students who get to experience an outdoor learning environment tend to be more attentive and, therefore, have a better recollection of the information that was shared.
- Consistent exposure to nature decreases stress and anxiety, helps elevate mood, and helps with emotion.
- Children often have too much exposure to digital screens via televisions, computers, and cell phones. This can result in a “nature deficit disorder,” which may lead to obesity and possible psychological and academic issues. Outdoor learning allows students to put their focus back on nature.
- Outdoor environments naturally inspire children to be more physically active.
- Exposure to bright sunlight found in nature is also healthy for vision. Bright sunlight is necessary for the eyes to develop properly, lowering the risk of nearsightedness.
- In outdoor settings, children are more motivated to work together in groups, which can improve their social skills. They learn to manage conflicts, communicate, and cooperate with their peers in a more effective manner.
- Outdoor learning provides children with hands-on experiences in nature. Most children learn better by using their senses. Outdoor environments provide the perfect place to do this. Instead of viewing different types of plants or wildlife on a computer or TV screen, they can see, smell, hear, and touch them in nature. Students can even start a garden and grow fruits and vegetables, which may have them wanting to sample their harvest. These hands-on experiences cultivate a love of nature and get them.1
Outdoor education and play support emotional, behavioral and intellectual development. Studies have shown that students who learn outdoors develop: a sense of self, independence, confidence, creativity, decision-making and problem-solving skills, empathy towards others, motor skills, self-discipline and initiative. 2
Learning outdoors is active and increases students’ physical, mental and social health. Some studies have even shown follow-up (e.g., non-school) physical activity increases with outdoor learning. Access to nature has also been shown to decrease the symptoms of ADHD. Outdoor learning and access to nature also decrease stress levels of students and teachers. 2
A number of studies have documented increased school performance through outdoor education. Research has document increased standardized test scores, enhanced attitude about school, improved in-school behavior, improved attendance and overall enhanced student achievement when students learn in and about nature. In addition, outdoor education effectively employs a greater range of children’s intelligences. Many researchers contribute the increase in performance to increased relevance and hands-on experience of learning outdoors.
River View is a private boarding school on 45 beautiful acres located near Austin, Texas. Our purpose is to provide a safe, structured, and supportive setting for our teen girl students 13-17 years old. River View offers teen girls their best opportunity to focus on education, avoid negative distractions and improve their thoughts and behavior for good.
As a non-therapeutic boarding school, River View Christian Academy helps struggling teen girls embrace a healthy outlook on life and teaches them how to make good personal choices. At the same time we connect parents and teen girls with local professional outpatient therapy services for students who struggle with emotional or behavioral issues.
River View also provides 24-hour care and supervision. Young teen girl students are responsible for garden and animal chores on the ranch, in addition to school and homework. Of course, there are fun school activities, as well as the amazing national parks in the area.
If you want to learn more, please give us a call. 1-800-494-2200
We look forward to speaking with you!